Hip Hop vs Rock
Can you imagine a world without music? Pretty disturbing, isn’t it? People use music to express emotions and sentiments through music’s rhythm and melodies. It also entertains, creates, and soothes people’s moods. Just like people, music is diverse and also varies in style ‘“ whether in rhythm, beat, type of instruments used, and melody.
Two of the most popular genres of music in pop culture are Hip Hop and Rock. People are often divided with the genre they prefer and, in terms of music culture, nothing has divided humanity more than Hip Hop and Rock. Stereotypes have emerged based on these two music styles but fortunately, in these day and age, these two types are gradually merging, blurring the lines between subcultures.
Hip Hop is a genre that was developed in the 70s particularly in the Bronx in New York. Just like in any kind of music, Hip Hop music started as a way to express emotions and in this case, more on social and political issues. In the infancy of the music genre, Hip Hop is primarily practiced by African Americans and soon influenced by and with Latino American and Jamaican immigrants.
Hip Hop, in essence, is not just a type of music but also a culture. In fact, the genre is basically a by-product of the culture. People in this Hip Hop subculture were adept in musical practices such as rapping, DJing, beatboxing, freestyling, and looping. These basic elements of Hip Hop have gone to become a genre of their own but, technically speaking, they are all considered as genres from the Hip Hop culture.
Early Hip Hop music initially consisted of man-made beats, turntables, and a mic (vocals). The words or lyrics are often in a rhythmic spoken format, which is considered as Rap. Dance is also an essential part of Hip Hop. It can be said that Hip Hop is a product of poverty — musical instruments are not really necessarily used back then because people in the subculture simply cannot afford it.
In these times, however, that cannot be said of Hip Hop since it has emerged to become one of the most luxurious music genres. It has also embraced technology as crude instruments are replaced by computerized beat machines, synthesizers, and other digital beat and rhythm sources. Hip Hop has also implemented some elements of rock, at least in musical production.
On the other hand, rock has different roots and there are a lot of elements in the genre that is simply its own.
Rock is one of the oldest forms of music in mainstream today. The modern genre roots back to Rock n’ Roll in the 40s. Since then, it evolved in many directions and the rock music genre of today is one of them. Rock is instrument-oriented type of music. It often revolves around guitar’s beat and rhythm as supported by the bass guitar and drums. A keyboard accompaniment is also common. Actually, any kind of instrument applies but guitars are always necessary. In fact, guitar is the symbol of rock.
Rock has many sub-genres ‘“ e.g. blues, jazz, funk, glam, alternative, and etc. Although an individual can represent the genre, rock music is often associated with groups. Today, rock music is often preferred by Caucasians, especially white Americans but it has been changing since fusion of genres is now becoming a trend.
1. Hip Hop is originated to express sentiments in politics, society, and poverty while Rock mainly started to develop with the creation of rhythm and melodies produced by instruments.
2. Rock started earlier than Hip Hop.
3. Hip Hop is a genre that started in poverty. It cannot really be said with Rock.
4. In its early form, Hip Hop is not instrument-oriented while Rock is definitely instrument-oriented.
5. Immigrants, especially African-Americans are the originators and principal practitioners of Hip Hop while Rock is preferred by many Caucasians.
6. Hip Hop is based on rhythmic sounds of speech while Rock revolves around guitar’s rhythms.
Ian. "Difference Between Hip Hop and Rock." DifferenceBetween.net. July 28, 2011 < http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-hip-hop-and-rock/ >.
When hearing the words “Comparative Analysis,” students may feel uncomfortable. However, all it’s really asking you to do is compare and contrast two things, an action we perform every day! A good compare and contrast essay doesn’t only reveal/show how the subjects are similar or different (or even both!). It is needed to make a consequential argument about things that were compared and contrasted.
Table Of Contents
Things to Compare And Contrast
These are common compare and contrast essay topics.
- 20th Century vs. 21st Century
- Adolf Hitler vs. Joseph Stalin
- Creationism vs. Science
- High School vs. College
- Apple vs. Microsoft
- Female friend vs. Male Friend
- Cats vs. Dogs
These are just some examples of good Compare And Contrast topics you might be asked to write about in your high school or college classrooms, but there are infinitely many others!
Scientific Compare & Contrast Topics
- Grill vs. Microvawe
- Math vs. Physics
- Earthquake or Tsunami: what's worse?
- Mars vs. Pluto
- Albert Einstein vs. Nikola Tesla
Literature Compare & Contrast Topics
- Comedy vs. Tragedy
- Prose vs. Lyrics
- Shakespeare vs. Hemingway
- Modern Literature vs. Postmodern Literature
- Lord Of The Rings vs. Harry Potter
Movie and Music Compare & Contrast Topics
- Rock vs. Rap
- Batman vs. Superman
- Sherlock Holmes vs. Moriarty
- Horror Movies vs. Comedy
- Harry Potter vs. Draco Malfoy
Constructing an argument
Choose two things that can be compared and contrasted
The first thing you need to do to write an outstanding compare and contrast essay is to pick two topics, themes, ideas, etc. that are different enough to be compared. There are few things you should consider when choosing your subject.
- You can pick fine topics that are in the same “category” but have differences that are notable. For example, between “Windows vs. MacOS” or “McDonald's vs. Subway.”
- You can choose two subjects that might appear identical but are actually different. For example “fifty shades of gray book vs. film.”
Make sure that your topic can be discussed in a meaningful way
You can’t just write “So here is subject A and subject B: they differ”. Try to show them why it’s appropriate and engaging to put these two subjects together.
- If you felt like you have learned something new after comparing and contrasting, then you have spent your time efficiently.
Brainstorm your topic
Spend some time brainstorming about how your chosen subjects, topics, themes, etc. are same and different. It will probably help you see which points are dominant ones you want to focus on.
- It can be a valuable tool when brainstorming. In the middle area of the overlapping circles write similar things. In the outer edges of the circles, you write what is different.
- Likewise, you can just write out a list of all qualities or characteristics of each subject. As soon as you’ve done that, that both subjects share. Major points of difference are also good to take into account.
Look at your main points
Choose a few points that seem to be especially important. Don’t try to provide your audience with a list of everything in which topics of consideration are similar and/or different in your essay.
For example, if you are comparing Apple vs. Microsoft, you might notice that they are the two most competitive companies in the field of computing software tools. They have different prices for their products, use different Operating Systems, and their product lines are different as well. These are points of contrast (ways they are different).
One of the similarities between these companies is based on their founders; they are both founded on the ideas of genius self-motivated businessmen. Co-founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates is a worldwide respected man for achieving his dream of putting computers on billions of desks, and also as a philanthropist. Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, is also an insightful businessman and an open-minded genius Another sameness between the two is the production of media players, which are portable, and Smartphones. These are points of comparison (ways they are similar).
Build a thesis
Building a good thesis is crucially important. In compare and contrast essay it should always make an argument that explains why it’s necessary to put these two subjects face to face. You can use this as a base for your thesis:
- Show readers why one subject is more engaging than the other.
- Help readers make a meaningful comparison between two subjects
- Show readers how two subjects are similar and different.
How to Systemize your Essay
There are several methods to organize your essay. Choose one that works best with your ideas.
- Subject by subject: Start with saying everything you have about the first subject your discussion, and as you have done this you can move on and make all the points you want to make about the second.
- Point by point: In this method, you need to discuss how a certain point of comparison/contrast relates to all the items you are discussing. Then repeat it with another point.
Introduction. In a superior introduction you need to present all basic information about the subjects to be compared and contrasted. Moreover, you will talk about (i.e., what you are going to discuss and why your audience should care).
Body Paragraphs. In this section, provide the details and evidence that support your claims. Each different section or body paragraph should provide and analyze evidence.
Conclusion. Summarize all presented evidence. Restate the thesis, but keep one thing in your mind: your readers don’t need you just to rewrite or reword your original thesis. Take it to another level!
Outline your body paragraphs based on subject by subject comparison:
- introduction of general topic
- specific topic
- areas to be covered in this essay
- Topic 1
- Aspect 1
- Aspect 2
- Aspect 3
- Topic 2
- Aspect 1
- Aspect 2
- Summary of main points
- Evaluation and/or possible future developments
Outline your body paragraphs based on point by point comparison:
- introduction of general topic
- specific topic
areas to be covered in this essay
- Topic 1 - Aspect 1
- Topic 2 - Aspect 1
- Topic 1 - Aspect 2
- Topic 2 - Aspect 2
- Topic 1 - Aspect 3
- Topic 2 - Aspect 3
- Summary of main points
- Evaluation and/or possible future developments
The format of the comparison and contrast essay is actually unique in the fact that it doesn’t have a linear path. Most 5 paragraph essays have to be written in the 1-3-1 format which obviously includes the intro, 3 bodies and the conclusion. The cool thing about the comparison essay is that of the essay. In this case, you can choose between having 2 or 3 body paragraphs with the outlines looking accordingly:
2 Body Paragraph Style
- Similarities vs. Differences
- 1st body paragraph talks about the similarities between both subjects
- 2nd body paragraph talks about the differences between both subjects
- Point A > Point B
- Body 1 picks Topic A then gives all information and analysis about A
- Body 2 picks Topic B then gives all information and analysis about B
Generally, if you are interested in being very straightforward or just are purely trying to get the essay finished swiftly and efficiently, then this would be your go-to-method. However, if it’s not 3 am the night before the due date, read on to learn about a more creative and exciting format: the 3 body style!
3 Body Paragraph Style
The 3 body paragraph style is the subject to subject style. It gives the reader a specific subject in each paragraph and either offers a comparison or a contrast of the subject between topics A + B. The good outline would look something like this:
- Subject 1: Comparison or Contrast about Topic A + B using subject 1
- Subject 2: Comparison or Contrast about Topic A + B using subject 2
- Subject 3: Comparison or Contrast about Topic A + B using subject 3
Make sure your essay has some diversity; make sure to at least use 1 or 2 subjects for your contrast. It is a Compare AND Contrast essay after all.
Putting all pieces together
Come up with a title.
A good essay title should preview something about the paper’s content or theme you are going to discuss. Depending on your target audience, of your main point.
Take a break
Take a step back from your essay for a day or two. Then, come back to it with a fresh head. You’ll find it much easier to see gaps in your logic or organizational mistakes.
Review your essay
- Make sure that ideas in your essay flow smoothly
- Check out for any grammatical errors, repetitive ideas, unnecessary sentences, etc.
As soon as you have done all the preparations and checkings, you can start to write your masterpiece.
Here we got some connectors to simplify your writing process
Connectors that show contrast (difference)
Connectors that show comparison (similarities)
Here we have some really good examples of a compare and contrast essay
Essay Writing Advice From Our Professional Team
If you’ve ever written an AP or an IB exam, you know that knowing the compare and contrast essay structure is critical. As the article mentions, a Venn Diagram is an excellent way to get a hang of this structure and use it in your writing. If you are comparing two pieces of literature, then the easiest way to do it is to first talk about one book or poem, then discuss its similarities with another piece, and then discuss the other novel. My advice for you is to draft an actual Venn diagram before writing your compare and contrast essays. After you do a Venn diagram, create an outline with the middle of your Venn diagram in the middle of your essay. As the article states, make sure to group each idea as a paragraph and isolate them. In an essay like this, it is easy to repeat yourself. You can prevent that by prewriting and making your comparison very apparent.
Now Lets Put it to the Test!
Let us compare and contrast buying an essay to working on it yourself. They both leave you with a completed piece of writing. However, EssayPro's top-tier writers might just be able to outperform your work :) If we are going to contrast them, doing it yourself leaves you exhausted with no time to pursue other passions. Or, you can get essay writing help from EssayPro.com for a super low price and do with your time as you see fit. Seems to me like there is not much to compare.
Top writer at your service