Classification Essays are written to place subjects or objects into various categories based upon some common factors supported by examples. Every classification essay starts with the identification of categories and factors related to these categories. For instance if it is necessary classify Custom Writing, one can place it into categories: business writing, college writing, high school writing, personal writing, etc. If it is necessary to classify universities one can classify them as foreign or American, public or private. The universities can be classified based on the language used in teaching, subject, degrees, number of students, location, formal regalia, etc.
Classification Essays have the following structure: introduction, thesis statement, body and conclusion. The thesis statement of a classification essay should describe the topic and identify classification categories. A sample thesis statement can be something like this: "The Armed Forces of the United States comprise the US Army, the US Navy, and the US Air Force". The writer should ascertain that the thesis statement of a classification essay presents all categories that will be discussed in the body of a classification essay. No critical classification should be missed. Thus if one writes a classification essay about cars one should mention sports cars, sedans, vans, trucks, SUVs or anything else one chooses to use as a classification category.
The writer of a Classification Essay should use logic and consistency throughout the essay. Each category should be supported with examples, while the most important category requires the most examples and elaboration. To write a successful classification essay, one should efficiently organize the studied topic into categories, adhere to the single classification principle used consistently throughout the essay, and use enough examples and logical support.
EssayPlant.com professional writers can assist you in preparation of your Classification Essays. Their writing experience allows them to grasp the topic and quickly develop a successful essay. Do not procrastinate, order Custom Classification Essay now!
How should I go about choosing my topic?
Begin by reading the explanations below. Examples of each are provided below!
- Division Essay: find a topic that people might tend to underestimate or over-simplify. In other words, choose something that the average person might not know much about, and therefore can't really understand how complex or interesting that topic really is. Your job in the essay will be to break your topic down into meaningful and important categories.
- Classification Essay: think about the categories we place things in everyday and the characteristics of those categories. The topic you choose should allow you to argue that something has been misplaced.
How should I organize this essay?
As you write, keep these guidelines in mind:
- Your thesis statement and introduction will need to explain why these divisions/ classifications should matter to your reader.
- Your thesis statement and introduction MUST define or explain the category you plan to discuss (i.e. A sport is a competitive, physical activity therefore cheerleading should be considered a sport.)
- You should organize your body paragraphs so that each division or category has it's own paragraph or section. (i.e. cardio exercise is paragraph 1 and weightlifting is paragraph 2, etc.)
Division Essay Examples
If you want to lose weight, simply saying that you're going to "exercise" everyday may not be the most effective way to do so. Exercising is more complex than many people realize--attaining your goals will involve understanding how different types of exercise can help you achieve your goals.
Types of Exercise
- cardio: burns calories and strengthens your heart (running, using an elliptical or stair-stepping machine, etc.)
- weight lifting: tones muscles, increases physical strength, burns fat (using weights or weighted machines)
- recreational/sports: depending on the sport, can provide both cardio and toning benefits (cycling, tennis, kayaking)
We could also narrow this topic down a bit further and write about the important differences between different types of cycling.
Types of Cycling: stationary (exercise) biking, road biking, mountain biking, recreational biking
Classification Essay Examples
To write this type of essay, we'll need to think about things that should or should not be placed in a particular category.Example: Batman (that's our topic!) is not a superhero (category people place him in), but is simply a local vigilante (category he belongs in).
Ask yourself: Why do I think that...?
- Does not possess super powers (powers most humans don't possess).
- Chooses to be a hero, rather than being "chosen" by others/other forces.
Example: Cheerleading (That's our topic!) should be considered a sport (It belongs in the category, "sports").
Ask yourself: Why do I think that...?
- cheerleaders go to "practice" and must be in good physical shape
- cheerleaders work together toward a common goal
- cheerleaders must "try out" for their squad and often compete against other squads